Friday 11 July 2014

Mother and Daughter Time in Malta



 Doing mum's make-up became custom on this holiday. (And don't worry, it didn't always look like this.)


If you know Malta (or are just in the know when in comes to finding countries to party with), you'll probably recognise that Malta's carnival was a few months back now. Four months and five days if we're counting. Yes, I know. It's held during the week leading up to ash Wednesday, which is in spring. We're in summer. That was ages ago. I know. I know.  But I couldn't not share. Malta was beautiful, and the people knew how to have fun. I couldn't keep that to myself. 

Five days in Malta. Invited by the Maltese carnival committee. We we're out there to display the arts. To give a little taster of what Carnival in the UK, specifically Notting hill carnival, (Europe's biggest street festival) had to offer. We were there to create a relationship between both our Fiestas. For future collaborations. It was a bit shaky at times. It rained when we really needed it not to. The music got mixed up when we were on stage. The final day of carnival was cancelled due to weather. But apart from all of that I had a blast.  

From flamboyant floats to amazing costumes, Malta certainly welcomed me with open arms . And with such a beautiful country to see, this trip wasn't just one of sight seeing, food eating and parading the streets in costumes (which I loved, of course). This was trip was also a great little bonding trip for me and mum too.



We started, and spent most of our time, in Valletta, the Capital city of Malta.



And that's where I saw this little cutie. (Don't worry. I did get permission from his mum.) Seriously though, how cute is he? Too, too cute, right? I could just gobble him up. (No cannibalism here though, I assure you.)




Mum knows how to strike a pose.



The floats were made of Paper mache. And I must admit I did completely fall in love with this band here.



So mum got suited up, (Make-up courtesy of me) and waited with part of her costume, (The main part. The oversized head part. The part that actually MADE the costume.) left back in the UK. Talk about embarrassing. But we worked with what we had, and it didn't seem Although, it didn't seem to disappoint.


We hopped on the ferry on our third day and set sail for Gozo. The journey took twenty minutes but it felt more like five. I barely had enough time to buy a packet of Haribo Pinballs when suddenly we were there.

And Gozo, the "sister island of Malta", was not only gorgeous, but lots of fun too.

Back to Malta and we headed off to Mdina. "The Silent City". What can I say about this place. The architecture. The narrowed streets. The lanterns. Cathedrals. Horses and Carriages, I felt like I had been transported to another time. Everything was so serene.





We found a Café called the Fontanella Tea Garden in the Silent City of Mdina. The views from there are breathtaking, and they not only have outdoor seating but indoor as well. Obviously we sat outside to feast our eyes on the view. It was lovely. Not to mention the drinks. Ooh, and try the cakes. And if you love chocolate, try the chocolate tea. It's basically just melted chocolate in cup.

Mum's Irish Coffee went down a storm and I must admit my berry smoothie was very yummy too.

After getting back from another day of  partying and feasting our eyes and taste buds we we're knackered. Look at mum. She looks ready for bed, right? *shakes head* Nope. Don't let her innocent looks deceive you. We went down to the bar after that.  



And then that was that. It was time to come home.

3 comments :

  1. Nice post,dear!Really like it:)
    Keep in touch xx
    Antonella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. I'm really glad you liked it. x

      Delete
  2. LOVE your pictures, you guys look amazing and it sounds like you had a fantastic time! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...